Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I've had a problem ever since I started using my work computer with some of my programs trying to load two copies at startup. It became obvious because I use Trillian and it will actually load twice, unlike most others that just ignored the second attempt to load. I found the solution in the Trillian Forums:


Trillian Discussion Forums - Trillian starts twice. Two icons in tray.:
timstyles
Junior Member
"I've found out why Windows runs everything in my startup menu twice. I had previously deleted the Startup folder in my user directory (C:\Documents and Settings\\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) and put program shortcuts in the common directory (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup).

There are two pairs of keys in the registry which point to these two folders. When one folder is deleted, the keys which pointed to it are modified to point to the remaining folder. The result is that both pairs of keys point to the same folder and things in it get started twice.

[...]

Note - you have to recreate the folder C:\Documents and Settings\\Start Menu\Programs\Startup if you deleted it, or the key will just change back.

hammo1j
Junior Member

[...]

People should go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

And change the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% to
%USERPROFILE% on the entries which will obviously have been modified from this setting.

If you reboot the machine the changes will be automatically propagated to the other directory.


ME:

Thanks to both for the instructions!


No comments: