Monday, January 31, 2005

Wow! I love a good speech and this is a great one. I wish I'd 'heard' it in High School. I'm not sure that my parents didn't actually tell me, but I sure didn't hear it. And the hearing is what matters. There are a couple of places that I have to disagree or would comment further, but overall, I think that Paul has put into words what it took me until graduate school to put into practice.

Like him, I knew something was up before that, and I did my best to 'stay upwind' (although not necessarily in the best ways - failing to commit isn't really a positive expression of the art). On the other hand, his statement that olympic champions are just 'relieved' is a gross oversimplication that detracts, in my opinion, from the correct statement that doing things that are hard is reqarding.

What You'll Wish You'd Known

I'd love to hear your comments about what you wish you'd known, too.

No comments: